Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Creative Design - My take

So before I start I just want to say that I am no designer, and I dont know any rules or tips on creating a design, this is all from my humble common sense that I will make up as we go along, I think its my take on how I would do it "if I were a designer." 

The story goes along these lines: I was in contact with this company to take photographs of their products. I followed through with what ever they told me to do, listening like a good boy. 

 Figuring it would be a relatively quick "work and go" type of a job, in the end I ended up spending over 3 hours to complete the project.

I was thinking, how did this come about? What went wrong that we couldn't collaborate on this and finish it quickly all while doing it efficiently?

My answer after thoughtfully thinking this through is this: 

WORKFLOW. One word.

I think I can say that if you have a clear vision of what you want it to look like then the design really shouldn't take too long unless its a technical editing skills that you are using. You should not be designing your concept in photoshop or any adobe program. 

I believe that it should work like this: 1. Message. ask your self the following questions. Why am I making an advert? To whom am I advertising? What is your message to them? 
2. Concept. Have a clear concept of how you want to get the above message to the people using memorable images or thoughtful text.
3. layout: think of what you need to do this, let it be photographs or font types of color themes and logo placement etc.
4. Photograph - spend a few minutes getting the photographs that you will need. 
5. Design: Make a few drafts of what you had planned with a few different tweaks that might be different for others when they see it. 
6. Eyes: let a fresh pair of eyes see it. Preferably someone who isn't involved in this project. 
7. Draft: send it to boss and let them choose one of your 3. 
8. Go get yourself a cold beer.

All I can show you are the ones I made for fun. 

    
The photo straight out of the camera. Used to make the next advert

I dont know why but calling a cliche a cliche. Still doesnt work!

Keep it simple. Make it easy. They will remember you. -Mock ad







(These little ads are supposed to be 1/6 of a page. They are such a small space to work with 


No comments:

Post a Comment