Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Areilla on Eastern Parkway Brooklyn






Here is the lovely Ariella, you guys might recognize her from a previous shoot that we did a few months back. You can see them here Ariellas photo shoot in Prospect park, NYC

The idea was to go on Eastern parkway and just get what we can without going too far in the shortest amount of time.

The images that we got were of this little girl with an small chuckle of attitude, she did not smile without the help of her favorite gummy bear treats which im sure you can tell from seeing the photos which ones she has her eye on her mother standing behind me.

I cannot explain why I like these, they show a great deal of personality in each photo, she has the eyes that mean something.

If I haven't said this before my goal, the one thing I will fight for, the one thing that I wont say "we're done" till I get to capture the individuals personality and I almost never fight for smiles, and I try my best to have as many images as I can to capture that.

I believe that a successful childrens photo shoot must have these few things. (obviously rules are broken, imagine this as a guidelist)

1. Eyes must be at the camera.
 If the kids isnt looking then your headed to "Candid portraiture" but that is a very different style, mostly using the "setting" or the "location" as a story to tell.

2. Neatly Posed.
Most children wont sit still, and because its so hard if you are good with kids then you will be able to get the pose you want.  Personally this is why I dont use a zoom lens when im taking kids pictures rather I will "blur the back ground" by using a wide aperture instead of using the distance to blur.


I guess that it for today, hope you have a good night and all the best!



 

4 comments:

  1. "this is why I dont use a zoom lens when im taking kids pictures rather I will "blur the back ground" by using a wide aperture instead of using the distance to blur." im not following ur point what do u mean u use a wide aperature instead of distance blur, what do u mean by distance blur?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question!

    There are two ways to shallow your depth of field.
    1. using a wide aperture, or
    2. Standing farther away from your subject and zooming in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for ur answer though im not sure u understood my question, why would u rather use a wide aperture then zooming in to shallow your depth of field? ("I will blur the back ground by using a wide aperture instead of using the distance to blur.")

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I thought I answered that in the blog post.
    The reason is so that you are closer to your subject, you can interact with him or her and talk to them without an intimidating long lens or be too distant from them to talk to them for example.

    ReplyDelete